You probably have heard or even eaten zucchini noodles or squash noodles as they are a pretty popular food item, but sweet potato noodles have been a new trend, so we present to you the way to prepare sweet potato noodles with a spiralizer. Sweet Potatoes are more versatile, flavorful and scrumptious, and even kids love them.
Sweet potato noodles are always a hit if you want a warm, hearty delicious meal. But why there is so much rage going on about sweet potato… what is so special about them.
They are known to be rich in fiber, vitamin A, and also potassium, magnesium, and many other nutrients. Their orange color is from a pigment and antioxidant known as beta-carotene.
Ways to cook sweet potato noodles using a spiralizer
Along with using spiralized sweet potato, you can add other vegetables to make your meal appetizing. But unlike regular pasta or spaghetti, you’ll be eating a healthier, veggie diet. You can pair them with kale, adding a more flavorful vibrant feel, because to be honest, eating plain sweet potato noodles seems quite bland and boring.
There are a variety of ways to make spiralized sweet potatoes including sautéing, baking or grilling. If you are a cheese lover then you can make lasagna, using sweet potato, kale, and lentil. Other than that you can have stir-fry spiralized Sweet Potato Enchilada, Spiralized Sweet Potato Spaghetti Casserole, Spiralized Sweet Potato, White Bean, and Kale Bake and the list goes on.
BEST PRACTICES TO COOK SWEET POTATOES WITH A SPIRALIZER
You must have tried noodles or zoodles or doodles, so now it’s time to try our new recipe sweet potato noodles or as we call it swoodles… that’s what we are calling them, right?
If you want to make sweet potato noodles using a spiralizer, the first step would be to wash and peel the sweet potato off. Select a firm, ripe sweet potato if possible, choosing an overripe could make the spiralizing task difficult, and also go for a slightly thin potato. Then after peeling it off place the potato firmly into the spiralizer, you can use either the manual spiralizer or an electric one. The perfectly looking sweet potato noodles require getting the best shape, for that you should go for the top electric spiralizer for your kitchen, with which you can easily spiralize the vegetables.
Spiralizer is a fun kitchen gadget with a variety of different blades, sizes, and shapes, to make whichever style noodles you wish to cook.
Sweet potatoes have a tough flesh so you’d have to use some pressure when using the manual one, so remember while selecting the spiralizer, choose the one that makes the spiralizing or noodling process less frustrating and creates the firm, perfectly shaped noodles. Electric ones would be a better choice as they make the overall task quick and efficient.
Once you are done with the initial process, next start the recipe. To cook spiralized sweet potato noodles with garlic sauce, you’d be needing the following ingredients. We can call it a recipe with plenty of nutrients and colors all in one. These spiralizers or spiralizing techniques will awaken the hidden chef inside you, making a move towards a healthier lifestyle.
Spiralized Sweet Potato with Yummilicious Garlic Sauce
The spiralized sweet potato noodles with yummy, mouthwatering garlic sauce add a nutritious, satisfying touch to your diet. The inspiration was taken from Spaghetti Aglio e Olio which is a traditional Italian pasta dish, but instead of using the spaghetti, we are swapping them up with sweet potatoes noodles.
This dish takes a total of 1 hour. 50 minutes for making the sweet potato turn into noodles using the spiralizer and preparing the sauce while the remaining 10 minutes are used for cooking.
This vegan gluten-free recipe will give 3 decent sized servings, but a lot depends on the size of those potatoes. It can be used both as a main or side dish.
- 3 medium-size spiralized sweet potatoes noodles,
- 4-5 tablespoons of water
- 1 cup raw cashews,
- 3 cloves of garlic (add more or less depending on your garlicky preference),
- 2 teaspoon of cornstarch to thicken the paste,
- 4-5 tablespoon of nutritional yeast,
- 1 ½ -2 cups unsweetened rice milk or plain almond or ½ cup coconut milk,
- a pinch of sea salt, and a pinch of black pepper or red chili flakes (whichever you prefer)
The options with which you can serve them:
- Fresh chopped parsley.
- A dollop of pesto [simply add fresh basil leaves, and pine nuts into the food processor and grind them, then add garlic, Parmesan or Romano cheese, butter, extra virgin olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste till it emulsifies into a smooth sauce] *replace basil with kale for kale pesto.
- Red pepper flake,
- Kale chips or sautéed kale [Take a large bundle of purple or green curly kale, drizzle with oil and seasoning of your choice and then bake till they are crispy and very light golden brown. Remove from oven and let it cool] Store-bought crispy chickpeas
Seeds & Nuts
- 2 tablespoons raw sunflower seeds or hemp seeds or toasted pine nuts
- As I mentioned before, the recipe starts with taking 3 medium sweet potatoes, wash them, peel them off, slice them in two and cut the pointy tips off and then give them a noodle form using anyone of the top 10 electric spiralizer.
- So here comes the most interesting part, put the non-stick pan over the stove on medium flame, add in some olive oil and wait till it gets hot [and in case you don’t have non-stick pan then add plenty of oil so food doesn’t stick to the bottom and keep on adding few drops of water to prevent sticking]. Once the skillet is hot, stir-fry the noodles for 5-7 minutes, don’t overcook else they’ll become stiff and break apart. But if you want to quicken the process, cover the pan and let it steam cook the noodles, the only issue would be that the noodles will get a bit soggy, but if you are ok with that, then it’s no problem.
- While the noodles are getting ready, prepare the garlicky, creamy sauce. If you want the sauce to be extra creamy, you can soak the cashews overnight or cover them with extra hot water to soak for 30 minutes. Drain them thoroughly. Add the dried cashews in the blender and then the remaining ingredients till it’s blended smoothly and in creamy form and easy to pour. If the paste thickens, you can add more almond milk to smooth it.
- For any recipe to get a complete look, toppings are very important and because it is a veggie pasta, topping gives it a firm texture.
- When noodles are done, transfer them to a bowl, add nuts or seasoning, then use the same bowl to heat the sauce on medium-low heat, once it starts to bubble, lower the flame to keep the sauce warm and then pour them over the noodles. Best when serve fresh.
- Serve it as per your liking, you can garnish it with thinly slice baby kale or chickpeas, roasted broccoli or tomatoes or can even squeeze lemon juice to add more flavor. You can even customize it by adding sautéed kale or mushroom or some shredded Italian cheese or vegan parmesan cheese [which is made by adding raw cashews, nutritional yeast, salt, and garlic into the food processor and blend it until a fine mixture is created].
- If you plan to eat them later then keep the kale and other toppings separate. Reheat on the stove or microwave.
Now that I have explained the best way to make sweet potato noodles using a spiralizer with a scrumptious garlicky sauce along with a number of toppings and seasonings you can use to make your meal more delish. Enjoy & Happy Eating!